April 3, 2009

Last Sunday on the Red Line II




RUBEN LOPEZ ON HIS WAY HOME!

I admit I stalked Ruben for a few paces as he was walking briskly. But I rarely see such natty men his age and was determined to catch up with him. When I finally did (Johnny, a few paces behind me), he was so nice and forthcoming about his use of the Metro and his unique style sense. He told us he was on his way home to Los Feliz from Pasadena and he'd just hopped off the Gold Line and was transferring to the Red - a route I myself am very familiar with.

Ruben: I moved to LA two years ago and I went to culinary school in Pasadena. I use the Metro everyday - it's a great way to get around the city.

(MetroProfile Note: Ruben's alma mater is not just any culinary school, but the California School of Culinary Arts, a Cordon Bleu program. For more information, check out http://www.csca.edu/)

MetroProfiles: What are your favorite and least favorite things about the LA Metro?

Ruben: I like that it runs frequently - except I wish it ran later into the night. I also like the 24-hour buses in LA.

MetroProfiles: You're very stylish Ruben. Do you have any influences?

Ruben: I like to be comfortable and I also am influenced by nostalgia for past decades. And I like to stick out like a sore thumb! So I dress this way on purpose.

MetroProfiles: So what era are you channeling today?

Ruben: The 1960s.

MetroProfiles: We love it - the bracelets, your shoes, and the way your tie matches the crest on your sweater. Great look!

No comments: